Every local-news company needs stock photos from their coverage area. Every local-news company takes stock photos in their coverage area.
Somehow, nobody has figured how to give all of us an incentive to let each other use the stock photos we’re already taking.
A couple months back I failed to fully communicate this concept to a friend at The Oregonian. Here’s another attempt:
- Any news organization, large or small, can add photos to the pool.
- Anyone can buy photos from the pool a la carte, or pay for a long-term membership.
- Photographers get a cut for each download.
- Regular contributors get discounted memberships.
- Marketing types could buy and use the photos, too – though they couldn’t contribute, because only documentary-style work could be uploaded.